Work with us
As the research programmer you are expected to develop various simulations and games based on the research requirements of the projects. These tools could be new prototypes or implementation of existing established tools with new parameters. New tools, if built, has to be based on existing research for such tools/techniques. Our work by nature is complex, so we don’t expect you to know everything on day one, but you should have the ability to grasp things quickly and have a voracious appetite for reading and imbibing the latest research and techniques.
- Designing, developing and documenting simulations or games using Python, Java, or any other infrastructure level programming language capable of running large compute operations.
- Ability to develop interfaces between simulations and other tools such as visualisations, monitoring dashboards, etc.,
- Working with large data-sets using DBMS and scripts to extract data and model the same.
- Ability to use tools such as R and Sci-Py to visualise data from sources or simulations.
- Ability to validate and calibrate the simulation tools.
- MySQL, PostgreSQL
- R and/Sci-py
- Basics of GIS (using QGIS, pg_routing)
- Basic administration of a Linux server (Ubuntu/Debian)
- Manage package updates
- User management
- Disc management
- Installing DBMS applications
- Manage Apache + Nginx system remotely
- Hosting new websites
- Configuration for using SSL
- Modifying server name
- Deploy and manage Django/Rails applications
Why Work at Fields of View
- We have collaborations with Indian and international universities, and you get access to cutting edge research in data and policy.
- Depending on your interest, you will contribute to research papers that we have published in major journals.
- Your work will contribute to applications in addressing social problems.
- The portfolio of projects done at Fields of View have paved the way for our colleagues to pursue Masters/Phd courses.
The Application Process
Please write firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a few words about why you want to work with us. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will review your application and setup a quick phone call. The phone call acts as a good way to introduce yourself and for us to let you know a bit more about our work. This call will be followed up with an assignment.
The assignment will involve a cross section of the kind of work you'll do with us — from research to drawing up a quick concept note to actually coding. You take as much time as you want to complete the assignment, but we've noted that it takes on average about 7 days to finish.
If we like your approach to the assignment (and your code sample), we invite you to spend a day with us. You can pepper us with more questions and get to know the rest of the team. Once this is done, and if you like us and we like you, we will extend an offer within 3 days.
- Fields of View is a non-profit organisation.
- The position is based in Bangalore
- Our office is in JP Nagar, close to Rangashankara